Tuesday, April 04, 2006

I believe it | DISGUSTED

Story here.

I've been seeing it on TV for over a week now. As the typical skeptic that I am, I don’t always pay attention to whatever the news is preaching. I can now say that I've read the public statements and details about the event, and it’s obvious to see what happened.

Figures. I should have believed it right away, but there are liars out there too. There's a mountain of evidence as well, including the carving of the word 'nigger' into the skin, bruises and hospitalization from the beating, eye-witness Jason Bissey, and a time-frame that lines up like clock-work. I’m not even that upset about the incident as it may appear. People do dumb shit all the time; point taken. The manner in which Duke University and Durham Police Department are handing this is appalling! It’s one thing for some individuals to do something racist and ignorant, but when the authorities and agencies which govern us ENDORSE this kind of activity, something has to be done.

I'd like to say that only in the south can the town police act with such irresponsibility; I'd be wrong though. This type of injustice happens everywhere. This incident happened on the 13th of March, and just last week did the news finally start to run with it. The police haven't arrested a single person, took two days to even search the house, and for the most part are guarding these kids' privacy like [white] Hollywood celebrities. It wasn’t until the daily protests started that Duke U finally suspended the team’s season! When charges dropped on R. Kelly, they couldn't wait to get the cuffs on him, slam his head into the back of a car, all with the media conveniently there to broadcast the scene across the country. I’m not saying that R. Kelly is/was/isn’t innocent in the least, but can we have SOME kind of equality?

Jason Bissey was smoking a cigarette on the front porch next door and said he heard some of the party demand a refund. He heard one shout, "Hey @!$%#! (NIGGER) Thank your grandpa for my nice cotton shirt."

Someone from the house apologized and coaxed the women back inside. It was then, the woman says, that she was dragged into a bathroom and raped, beaten and choked for a half hour.

Police say medical evidence is consistent with a sexual assault. Officers recovered the woman's makeup bag, cell phone and identification from the house — as well as four red-polished fingernails she says were broken off during the struggle.

- Allen G. Breed (AP)
Both the Durham News & Observer and NCCU Campus Echo have the very descriptive accounts from the anonymous victim. When they say “…evidence is consistent with sexual assault”, that seems pretty clear to me. There are clear and present signs of rape. You mean to tell me there have been NO arrests?! The victim stated that she scratched her attackers, losing nails in the process; and they haven’t examined anyone?! How much more evidence do you need? They have everything except the finished DNA report, a confessional, and a flipping rape tape of these silver-spoon-feed brats in action and they’re still fucking walking around.

Depending on how this plays out, some more may very well be necessary. I can say that I’m happy the rallies and protests have already started. The Durham DA states that no arrest will occur until the DNA tests are back. I don’t think 46 white boys would all agree to give samples, then announce in public that the results would clear them, if they weren’t pretty sure that they would. The way I see it, the prosecution is trying to use this test as a way out. Under any other circumstances, the mountain of evidence established already would be enough to haul some asses to jail. This is bullshit.

"I don't want to rush into this," Nifong said. "I keep hoping some of these kids will have an attack of courage and conscience."
Bullshit. Racist ass cops. Corrupt system. Why are they still being treated like good samaritans? Where is the harassment and face in the cement that we get?! All these people crying about the fairness of the now somewhat-outraged media coverage piss me off. You don’t hear any of that when it’s a black defendant. According to the police department spokeswoman, it took TWO DAYS to interview the victim (at most a two hour venture), and establish probable cause (RAPE!-one second, I’m done).

I’ll say it again, the racism in this country NEVER ceases shock and amaze me.

Some questioned why no arrests had been made and why District Attorney Mike Nifong announced he planned to take a vacation while the investigation was under way.

"If it was the basketball team here and the victim was a student at Duke, the guys here would already be locked up," said Henry Johnson, an NCCU graduate student.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home